Asthma, hip joint injury, creatinine level. Medicine?

Hi, Doc my grandmother, age 83, an ashthama patient, has suffered from Hip joint injury but the operation has been withheld as her creatinine level is 3. i will be highly thankful if you give me all possible advices along with the medicine which may reduce the creatinine level
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 minutes later

I am very sorry to know about your grandmother having a hip fracture. I understand this to be very distressing.

The cause of the fracture could be due to the following factors: old age, Long standing osteoporosis, or long term steroid treatment which is usual with asthma.

Serum creatinine is a lab test that is performed during diagnosis of kidney disease and as part of routine blood work. Normal creatinine levels are 0.5 to 1.2 milligrams per deciliter. High creatinine levels can be a sign of damage to the kidneys or to the muscle, or an effect of increased muscle mass. Diseases linked to increased creatinine levels include glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, diabetic nephropathy and conditions such as shock and congestive heart failure that reduce blood flow through the kidneys

First and foremost the cause of elevated Creatinine in your grandmother's case has to be diagnosed by physical examination and a panel of tests so that conditions like hypertensive nephropathy, Diabetes, Chronic kidney medical disease, etc.

The tests needed include:-
1. Complete blood count and Hemogram
2. Chem 14 panel.
3. Urinalysis
4. Renal ultrasound.
5. Renal captopril excretion scan

Management of such chronic conditions requires specific treatment of the underlying conditions mentioned above. This will actually take time to fix the problem and hence it will be a while before the creatinine levels go down.

In addition, Muscle damage due to trauma (rhabdomyolysis) releases a protein called myoglobin into the bloodstream. Large amounts of myoglobin are toxic to the kidneys so the serum creatinine levels rise. Rhabdomyolysis can result from trauma.

In case most of the tests have been normal, a few days of conservative management and hydration therapy, can help the creatinine levels to reduce on its own.

In case, your doctors feel that your grand mom is not fit to undergo the surgery, then you can consult a nephrologist, who can decide if a dialysis procedure can be done, on a one time basis, which can help to reduce the creatinine.

Once the creatinine levels reduce, the surgery can be planned by her doctors.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to consult me again if you have additional queries

Dr Anvekar.