Asthma allergy, sinus infection. Given biaxin and caused diarrhea, nausea and tasteless mouth. Treated with proventil and spiriva. Need solution?

Best way to treat asthmatic allergic Dr thought it was sinus infection and gave me Biaxin which has just caused other difficulties to include,diarrhea,nausea and terrible taste in mouth.I am a RN(ICU) just quit smoking 1 week ago after 30 year history,have the start of COPD,but became debilitated approximately 1 month ago.Cant work,always SOB with increased mucous congestion.Proventil doesnt touch it and My Dr started me on Spiriva.....I'm desperate,dont want to lose my job.......need solutions.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
From your history it seems that you are having chronic bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief. Biaxin like antibiotics are usually associated with stomach upset. You can overcome these symptoms by taking probiotics along with the antibiotics. Systemic steroids are needed to control the acute inflammation in your airways.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your chest. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the congestion is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Asthma allergy, sinus infection. Given biaxin and caused diarrhea, nausea and tasteless mouth. Treated with proventil and spiriva. Need solution? 50 minutes later
I have been on Biaxin(with all the adverse symtoms)without relief.Have had a chest x-ray which was negative.Forgot to tell you that I was on Proventil.So which steroids
would you suggest and would you suggest an anti-allergenic.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Proventil is only to relieve the acute respiratory distress. In your case a combination of inhalational steroids like fluticasone and long acting beta 2 agonist like formeterol will be helpful.
In addition to these oral steroids and anti inflammatory agents like montelukast are also needed. Anti allergics may not be very helpful in your case. All these are prescription only drugs and need careful clinical monitoring to adjust the doses.
You will have to consult your physician for appropriate prescriptions.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.