Asked to keep current prescription eyeglasses on while doing retinoscopy. Could that cause blurred vision and sensitivity?

I am asking this on behalf of my fiancee. She recently had a retinoscopy done and since then, she has had blurred vision when not using her eyeglasses, pain and some swelling in her eyes, and her eyes have also become very sensitive to light. She says that something unusual which she noticed during the retinoscopy was that she was asked to keep her current prescription eyeglasses on while it was done. Could that have caused a problem? Thanks.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later

Some people have higher sensitivity to the dilating drops used for Retinoscopy. Usually the effect wears off in a short while.From a few hours to a few days depending upon the compound used.

This will be there for a few days before she gets out of the effect of dilating drops.This is at best a temporary phenomenon.

While doing Retinoscopy different power glasses are put in the path of rays coming out of the retina,and they are neutralized by the power of glasses put in the passage of rays.That power is then subjected to a different formula thereby we come to a expected power which is then verified .This in a nutshell is Retinoscopy.

In her case if the glasses are of a known power then there is no harm in putting her prescription eye glasses in the passage of rays and neutrilizing them with a known power.

There is nothing objectionable about putting her glasses on while retinoscopy,these methodologies change from person to person.

In case her problem does not become better please do get back to me,then i will need to know the time when she had done her Retinoscopy.

She will be fine in due course of time.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.