Armpit boil, paining, no puss, no surgery, internal fever, blocked nose, throat infection. Treatment?

Question
Hi, I am 26 year old guy. I have a pea sized Boil (baltod) at my underarms which is paining like hell. It doesn't look like it has pus as it's colour is same as my skin (and not white or yellow). Please suggest do I need to visit a doctor? Or any antibiotic or any medicine can work for me? I don't want to go for a cut procedure. Please suggest. And tell me the reason of this boil (baltod). Is plucknig hair is the only reason or any other reason? Please help to reduce my pain. I am also feeling like XXXXXXX FEVER with no high temperature but feeling cold and with ache in legs and body. Secondly I am having cold symptoms with blocked nose and throat infection but no cough in the chest and no runny nose and no watery eyes. only throat infection and blocked nose. Please suggest sumthing for boils and fever symptoms.
Posted Tue, 15 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

From your symptoms, it can be a boil or a swollen lymph node in response to a viral infection. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection.

Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. Treatment is usually warm compresses, over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesics(pain killers) like acetaminophen or ibuprofen, antibiotics if cause of infection is suspected to be a bacteria and surgical drainage if there is any abscess (collection of pus) formation.

For a boil also, treatment consists of warm compresses and topical antibiotics like Dettol on the boil and keeping the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done by incision only when it becomes soft and forms a head.

Take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription. You can get antibiotics like Amoxicillin or Augmentin prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Armpit boil, paining, no puss, no surgery, internal fever, blocked nose, throat infection. Treatment? 19 minutes later
Is it necessarily true that every such boil goes to ripen phase and pus gets filled in it? Is it possible that this boil can be treated and cured at this very initial phase?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the centre of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or can spontaneously drain.

However with warm compresses and topical and oral antibiotics, the boil does not get to the ripen phase and can be treated at an initial phase. Then incision and drainage is not needed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

Regards.