Are we too old to have babies at my thirties?

Infertility Specialist
We are planning to have a second baby from last 4 months without any success. I am aged 33 and my wife just truned 31 in Feb. We are having one kid and is 6.5 years in age , born normally. I have few questions. 1) Are we too old to have babies now. 2) Does the gap of almost 7 year make any difference on fertility of my wife. 3) I am not sure if the problem is with me. Is there any way to improve the sperm count. 4) any thing that you can suggest to improve chances of concieving. Medicaltion, meditation for me or my wife. Few Details - Baby that we have was born normally. - We have had normal sex all these years. - We used condoms and my wife did not consume any contraceptive pills all these years.(if that really matters)
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can conceive without any medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. Following is my answer to your queries. 1. You are not too old to conceive naturally. 2. Any duration of gap between pregnancies doesn't reduce fertility, but with increasing age, female fertility declines. But still 31 is not too old for fertility to get reduced drastically. 3. Instead of taking any medicine blindly, you can check semen analysis once after 2-3 days of sexual abstinence. Checking semen is neither costly nor invasive. Mostly semen should be fine & you should not require any medicine. For improving semen quality in general, you can take food rich in antioxidants like fruits/dryfruits/green leafy vegetables. Another option is to take vitamin A, C & E which are good antioxidants. 4. Four months is a short duration you have tried. You can safely try for another 2-3 months without any medication/intervention. If not successful in another three months, you can opt for further evaluation like testing wife's tubes & your semen (if you decide not to test semen right now). Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.