Are there heart failure risk associated with Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)?

Im a 26 year old white f who is 29 weeks pregnant. I have SVT intermittently and had an echo on nov. 4 that was completely normal with a normal ef. No abnormalities were seen. Recently i have been feeling as if i cant get a full breath and having intermittent chest pressure, however i do have a lot of anxiety surrounding my heart given my new diagnosis of svt. I am wondering if i should be concerned and what the likelihood of heart failure would be given that i had a completely normal echo 2 months ago.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Very unlikely! Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this recent diagnosis of supraventricular tachycardia and the symptoms you have reported. It must have been a very difficult moment for you with this diagnosis but, hope with more understanding of the condition, the worries are easing out. SVT in itself is not a risk factor for heart failure. What is concerning are the symptoms related to this this abnormal heart rhythm. Persons with SVT are generally left alone because of the relative benign nature of this without any immediate threat to life. Only persons with recurrent and disturbing symptoms are advised to undergo a radio ablation procedure that provide permanent cure to this. In a crisis, certain manoeuvers like holding the breath, drinking cold water, plunging the head into water, straining like during defecation, etc may be able to stop the episode and provide relief. Even without treatment, most episodes abate spontaneously. There is no reason to be concerned about a possible heart failure. SVT doesn't lead to heart failure. With and even normal cardiac ultrasound, there is very little to get worried about. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Are there heart failure risk associated with Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)? 13 minutes later
Thank you Dr. ditah, i was just wondering if it was likely that this sudden shortness of breath- more feeling like i cant get a full breath in along with the intermittent chest pressure was alarming that heart failure was occuring. I havent been in SVT for about a month- THANK GOD. The reason i ask is because although sob is common in pregnancy qhen you google it - i know bad idea- it comes up with heart failure symptoms. I dont find i am have difficulty doing daily activities or more so then normal just sporadically i feel like i cant get a full breath in and have some intermittent chest pressure. I figured that the likelihood of having a conpletely normal echo two months ago would mean that the symptoms im am feeling now are very highly unlikely to be related to heart failure especially since i dont have any swelling but i wanted to make sure that that assumption was the right one with a dr in hopes to decrease my anxiety around the issue
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good Idea seeking expertise input! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. Most of the symptoms online are very non specific to a particular disease. It is rare for heart failure to present first with shortness of breath at rest. There is a whole spectrum of symptoms that go on before we ever arrive there. Shortness of breath with exercise is often the first sign. Please, this is not in any way suggestive of heart failure. Just so many things make heart failure very very unlikely. I hope it helps. I hope it relieves you of the anxiety. I wish you a safe pregnancy and delivery. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Are there heart failure risk associated with Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)? 40 hours later
Again i am 29 weeks pregnant. Have good blood pressure, no swelling, have no injured myself lately. Occasionally i have pain in my epigastric/ RUQ but i have had my liver enzymes tested recently (as i had cholestasis with my first pregnancy) but i am experiencing pain on the front of my shoulders slightly more lateral then where my bra strap wouls be, just medial to where my deltoid woukd start. Is this cause for concern either cardiac wise or pregnancy wise ie pre eclampsia etc
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 hours later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. These symptoms are not suggestive of a cardiac origin or related to pre-eclampsia. Elevated blood pressure of greater than 140/90mmHg and proteins in urine are the main stem of the definition of pre-eclampsia. With a normal blood pressure, this is very unlikely to be related to. It is not related to the heart. Pain related with the heart is often provoked by exercise. It only projects to the shoulders but never originates from the shoulder. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.