Are there any risks of getting tattooed post aortic valve replacement surgery?

I will be having open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve and a section of my aorta.I will opt for a mechanical valve due to it's longevity. I will need blood thinners for life.What,if any,are the risks with getting tattooed after the surgery? I am 45 years old,am asymptomatic,and have no other health problems.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for your query ,

You do have to face risk of bleeding into the layers of the skin if attempted to get tattooed when on anticoagulants( blood thinners ). Also the chances of injecting a infection in is more and common in such scenarios.That is due to the absence of the clot formation which will prevent most of the infections from entering the capillaries.

Tatooing in people with hearts fixed with prosthetic valves have high chances of communicable infections, endocarditis , thrombosis and / pannus formation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Are there any risks of getting tattooed post aortic valve replacement surgery? 2 hours later
Are there any precautions I could take to minimize the risks?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 37 minutes later
Hi ,

No, since the process involves contact with the blood invariably . I would say avoiding the tattooing would be a better choice than searching for precautions.

Wish you Good Health.