Are the findings of scattered white matter foci in MRI of brain is that of MS?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
had mri of brain done dr says its normal but i read a spot where is says scattered white matter foci is that ms im worries due to dr says i dont have ms i have back and leg pain but this has me worried this is my 3rd mri of brain and thet all say normal
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for mentioning your MRI brain report findings. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these are very non-specific findings and are not suggestive of multiple sclerosis (MS) or any other serious brain disease. These can occur in patients with migraine most commonly. Since you had three brain MRIs, which were all normal, you can now stop worrying about MS. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Are the findings of scattered white matter foci in MRI of brain is that of MS? 8 minutes later
i dont have migraines so that was my concern i suffer alot from low back pain and sometimes numbness in legs and body aches i dont know if the 3 reports shows the white matter this mri was from a couple of months ago dr says its not ms not to worry but can those white matter develop after from my mri 5 yrs ago to present

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: The MRI findings are common in migraine, but can also occur in a person without any specific disease. Also, these white matter lesions once present on MRI, would persist in future MRIs too, even if they are done after several years. If these lesions had occurred due to MS, then, the repeat MRI would show an increase in the size and number of those white matter lesions. I hope it clarifies. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Are the findings of scattered white matter foci in MRI of brain is that of MS? 7 minutes later
thank you for my answer another question iF i had ms would it have shown up already i have had these symptoms for 8yrs or longer i also had mri of cervical and tspine normal

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, MRI would have shown up the lesions. Detailed Answer: Normal MRI of spine after 8 years of symptoms excludes a diagnosis of MS. Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Are the findings of scattered white matter foci in MRI of brain is that of MS? 14 minutes later
IHAVE ALOT OF BACK PAIN LSPINE MRI SHOWS MILD DEGENERATIVE CHANGES IN L5-SI DISC BULGE WIL MILD MASS EFFECT UPON THE THECAL SAC AND MILD BILATERAL FORAMINAL NARROWING ALSO L4-L5 BILATERAL FORAMINAL DISC PROTRUSIONS WITH MILD BITATERAL FORAMINAL NARROWING ALSO ANNULAR TEAR LEFT LATERAL ASPECT OF DISC CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT THATS MEANS CAN THE CAUSE THE CONSTANT LOW BACK PAIN PAIN IN LEGS SOMETIMES PINS AND NEEDLES ON TOP OF FOOT ALSO SOMETIMES I WAKE UP FEELING THE PINS AND NEEDLES

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Thank you for sending the MRI report of your lumbar spine. This report indicates that there are slipped discs at few levels in lower back, causing pinched nerves there. These nerves travel from back to the legs. These are minor abnormalities and would not require surgery. Symptoms of back pain, leg pain, tingling and numbness of legs can occur due to these abnormalities. At this stage, you would benefit from medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin. Physiotherapy with IFT/ultrasound, and back extension exercises would also be useful. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Are the findings of scattered white matter foci in MRI of brain is that of MS? 16 minutes later
Another question from earlier about MRI of brain where there were white matter scatters the MRI from 2008 doesn't mention any white scatters what could have cause these changes now 5 yrs later if it's not ms what other causes can it be

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: It also depends on the strength of MRI machine, these white matter lesions are better seen in 1.5 Tesla or 3.0 Tesla MRI machines. In addition, the training of MRI technician who print the MRI films also matter. Finally, it is the radiologist ability to identify them. As mentioned, they are common in migraine, but are seen in people without any disease also. Other causes can be past brain infection or ischemia (lack of blood flow) or head injury. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)