Are step throat, pharyngitis and tonsilitis indications of HIV infection ?

II have had step throat n pharangtis within 3 months of each other is this a sign of hiv an today when I got released from the hospit I was diagnosed with tonsilsist
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later

Repeated sore throat infections, pharyngitis, etc. are not indicative of HIV.

In case of HIV, there are recurrent infections due to decreased immunity but mostly it is a viral infection.

Repeated pharyngitis that you are having is most likely due to tonsillitis which was not completely cured during previous antibiotic treatments.

I would suggest you to get a throat swab culture sensitivity done, to find out the infecting organism and then take an antibiotic to which the infecting organism is sensitive for a complete relief.

Also consider getting a Tonsillectomy done, it helps in reducing recurrent infections of the throat.

You can get a screening test of HIV also done to clear the doubts.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Are step throat, pharyngitis and tonsilitis indications of HIV infection ? 1 hour later
Tbaks for replying doc.Now is there any reason y I keep getting????
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Repeated infection is due to incomplete or inappropriate antibiotic treatment. Or you may be resistant to the medicines prescribed to you.

A throat swab culture will help you.

Also consider getting Tonsillectomy done, as it reduces the chances of recurrent infection by almost 80%. I have already mentioned to you regarding this.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.