Are pelvic discomfort causing abdominal and back pain, fatigue, indigestion and weight loss symptoms of ovarian cancer ?

Hi, I am a 32 year old healthy female of 4 girls. I'm 5'4" at 122lbs. in the last 2 weeks I lost 8lbs unintended. I started have irregular cycles with spotting between cycles about 3 months ago. GP Dr. got me on hormones to "jumpstart" my cycle that didnt help so he started me on birth control & I have been on it for 2 weeks. For the past 2 months my pelvic discomfort has progress to abdominal and back pain, fatigue, indigestion with a feeling of fullness (putting pressure on my diaphragm at times), & weight lose(but getting thicker around waist.) Had an normal ultrasound (I had cyst that was causing heavy bleeding when I was pregnant 18months ago so he thought it might be that) and was give dexilant samples 5 days ago for indigestion (nausea & vomiting when I try to eat more than a few bites) but it is not helpping. My sister just had to have a full hysterectomy by a different dr. after the same radiology dr. gave her a normal u/s. I'm not sure what is going on, but my husband is really starting to worry. When that happens I usually end up in the hospital, so I'm starting to get worried about it being something for concern like ovarian cancer. Not for sure what to do either, since we are close to our family dr. and I would feel bad going to a different hospital.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms.

Definitely unintended weight loss which is sudden is not normal and this needs a thorough evaluation.

Some of the causes which need to be ruled out are:

1)     Thyroid causes like hyperthyroidism and endocrine abnormalities like thyroid causes and cushing’s disease.

2)     Any chronic infection.

3)     Gastrointestinal diseases like inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease),
peptic ulcer disease, celiac disease.

4)     Malignancy.

For these possibilities, you need a comprehensive profile of investigations like urine test, 24 hours urine testing and for ruling out ovarian cancer, you should get a PAP smear, CA125, ultrasound and biopsy done (biopsy is the removal of tissue or fluid to look for cancer cells).

Symptoms of ovarian cancer include pain and pressure in the pelvis, swollen or bloated abdomen, nausea and indigestion, fatigue and irregular bleeding. However your age is defying it as ovarian cancer is found at age of 55.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.