Applied antiseptic ointment and bandage after dog bite. Red ring appeared. Should I be concerned?

Question
I was bitten by my dog a few hours ago near the palm of my hand below the thumb area. After applying anti-septic ointment and a bandage for the last few hours, a red ring has formed around the bite area. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later
Dear

I think you should seek medical attention immediately.

In any case of injury or bite, there is natural reaction that,blood flow that part will increase and you can have some swelling or redness in that area.

Again if the bandage applied is very tight it can also lead formation of ring that you are seeing.

In any case medical attention is must.

Dog bite should never be taken lightly.

Depending upon the nature of bite, type of dog, your doctor will advise necessary treatment.

Take some analgesic that you have with you in mean time, open the bandage and just apply some antiseptic cream again.

Please visit a doctor.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you great health.

Dr.Pragnesh