Aortic valve replacement required. Triple bypass surgery done in the past. Has diabetes. Suggestion on quality of life after surgery?

My father is 86 years old. In 1994 a tripple bypass and some kind of birth defect was found that was also repair (i believe in a valve). Currently he has minimal symptoms but his cardiologist has refered him to a surgeon for an valve replacement. He has told my father that without the surgery he has only 1 to 2 years of life left. My father also has type 2 diabetes in control and his weight is good. He currently has an active life and takes care of himself with minimum help from my sister. The Surgeon says that he has a 10% risk of dieing durring the surgery.
Our biggest concern is his quality of life after surgery.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 17 hours later

There are certain details i would like to know before i can give you a proper advise. I want to know how long has he been a diabetic, the details of his echo and angiogram report.

You mentioned he has minimal symptoms ,i would like to know the details of his symptoms.

Severe coronary heart disease would definitely be an indication for surgery but like what your surgeon told you the fact that he is 86 increases the surgical risks.

Once surgery is done successfully he would be able to get back to all his activities more comfortably than what he does now.

The problem with surgery could mean risk to life and risk of stroke. In case a stroke develops the quality of life would be a major issue.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

with regards,

Dr. A. Gopi