Any home remedy for dry, chapped lips? Tried moisturisers

I am 24 yr old gal,My lips have been chapping from a long time.Appling a moisturiser also doesnot help.I use Himalya lip guard. Even if i apply moisturiser, atmost for half an hour it will be fine,after which it again becomes chapped.With chapped i mean it will not crack and will not blead,but it will be very dry and it will be white peels will be visible.
I drink almost 2 ltrs water perday.
Please tell some home remedy for it and cause of it.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of “cheilitis” - which is characterized by dry lips, peeling, cracking and flaking of the skin of lips. It is common in people with other skin conditions like eczema. Certain medications like those used to treat acne and allergies (to cosmetics and skin-care products) can also contribute to dry and irritated lips.

Chronic chapped lips can result from nutritional deficiencies (vitamin B), dehydration or over exposure to sun or cold and windy conditions.

The following measures can be helpful for dry and peeling lips. You can try these:

1)     Take some vitamin B supplements for some days as deficiency of vitamin B can cause such dry and peeling lips.

2)     Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days.

3)     Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply XXXXXXX butter or Vaseline on your lips.

4)     You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use.

5)     Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil.

If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can get topical steroids prescribed from your dermatologist. Topical steroids will help you.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.