Any chance of damage to facial nerve after chin and jaw augmentation?

hi, what is the chance of nerve damage or damage to the facial nerve after chin and jaw augmentation?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 2 hours later

There is a small chance of damage to the smaller branches of the facial nerve after a chin and jaw augmentation operation.

Chin and jaw implants sometimes put pressure on the mental branches of the facial nerve leading to tingling or numbness of the lower lip.

Slight tingling usually resolves after a few weeks.

Persistent numbness or change in sensation occurs due to pressure of the implant on the nerves. This may require repeat surgery and repositioning of the implant to avoid the possibility of permanent nerve damage.

In general, if numbness persists beyond 2 weeks of surgery, it is advisable to consult your surgeon.

Your doctor may be able to assess your risk of developing nerve damage depending on the position of your mandibular canal in relation to the lower border of your mandible as seen in an x-ray (panorex film).

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Any chance of damage to facial nerve after chin and jaw augmentation? 18 hours later
Hi There, thanks for the response.

What about the risk of facial nerve damage to the cheek area from cheek implants?

Also can you recommend any good surgeons for these types of facial implants? DO you know much about XXXXXXX epplley or dr yaremchuk?

Regards and I am considering facial implants to improve my appearance however I am scared of the risks and most doctors say low risk however I like to hear from someone in the industry who is more objective ( such as yourself).

Answered by Dr. Sheetal 3 hours later

The risk of facial nerve damage following a cheek implant is very low.

I am not the right person to recommend a good cosmetic surgeon in the US. However, I did read on the internet about Dr. XXXXXXX Eppley and Dr. Yaremchuk. In general, there is a good patient feedback about Dr. Yaremchuk and patient reviews for Dr. XXXXXXX Eppley are not so good. But, as I said earlier, I am not the right person to recommend any particular doctor.

If you need a recommendation from a plastic surgeon about a good cosmetic surgeon in the US, you can consult a cosmetic surgeon from our panel of specialists. Our panel of cosmetic surgeons is available at the following link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope this helps.