Anxiety over pregnancy, blood test, hCG level 0.10 mlU/ml, treatment ?

Question
Hi, I am anxious on conceiving. I had taken the blood test yesterday. I have the reports. But i dont know how to read it. my reading is Less than 0.10 mIU/ml. Please let me know if i am pregnant
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 39 minutes later

When a woman becomes pregnant, she starts to produce a hormone called hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin). This hormone gives the positive result on both urine and blood based tests. An hCG level of less than 5 mIU/ml like it is 0.10 mIU/ml in your case generally indicates you are not pregnant but this depends on the day post ovulation when the test is done.

One normally produces 25 milli-international units per milliliter (mIU/ml) of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) 10 days after conception. Sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive.

So I suggest you to wait for 5-7 days and then get your serum HCG levels checked once again after consulting your gynecologist. Pregnant women usually attain serum concentrations of 10 to 50 mIU in the week following conception. So get the levels checked again after a few days.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Anxiety over pregnancy, blood test, hCG level 0.10 mlU/ml, treatment ? 1 hour later
Dr Doctor, thank you. Yesterday was my 10th day after 14th day of Ovulation. Should the HCG level be less than 0 if a women is not pregnant? my question was will there be a HGC level present in women even if they are not pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the levels were reported 10 days post ovulation then unfortunately chances of pregnancy are less because by that time the levels should have reached 25 milli-international units per milliliter. In non-pregnant women, hCG levels are normally undetectable and are almost zero. hCG is pregnancy hormone and is not present in detectable amounts in non pregnant women. hCG is first produced when the fertilized egg (or embryo) "implants" in the uterus. This takes place about six days or so after conception. During early pregnancy, the hCG level in the blood doubles every two to three days.

However tests if performed too early in the pregnancy, before there is a significant hCG level, may give false-negative results. So i suggest you to wait for your periods and then get the levels checked again if you miss the periods.

Follow-up: Anxiety over pregnancy, blood test, hCG level 0.10 mlU/ml, treatment ? 20 minutes later
Thank you Doc, my last question i guess : ). then why is the count in my HCG 0.10 level mIU/ml if i am not pregnant? should it not be 0

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

hCG is not present in detectable amounts in non pregnant women but sometimes false positive results are there like in chemical pregnancies, missed reaction time of the test(If you let the test sit for too long), the test is invalid and if you are taking medications that have hCG in them like Novarel, Profasi, Pregnyl.

Hence it is advisable to get a repeat test done after a few days.

Hope this answers your query.