Anxiety, bandaged hand, duputren contractures, sertraline side effects

My husband is having extreme anxiety about his heavily bandaged hand. Yesterday he had surgery for Duputren contractures. He is taking oxycod/apap 5-325 tabs every 5 hours for pain. He doesn't feel he can stand the bandage. The first time we noticed this type of anxiety was when he had a cast on his foot & ankle and had to have the cast cut off. His doctor & pharmacist are not available. He has some sertraline 50mg tab on hand. Can he safely take it along with the oxycod/apap tabs--2 tabs. Or could he take 1 pain pill & a sertraline tab.? Please advise.
Posted Wed, 16 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Seratraline is an antidepressant seen useful in anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Nausea ,
ejaculation failure , insomnia, diarrhea, dry mouth, somnolence, dizziness, tremor and decreased
libido Are the common side effects with the drug. Acute overdosage is often manifested by emesis, lethargy, ataxia, tachycardia and seizures

I would consider no harm in taking Sertraline along with one tab of Oxycod , as they follow different path of metabolism and also act through different mechanism. Hence there are no interactions expected.

It will help in alleviating the symptoms. I would still consider it to be safe if taken after consulting your nearest doctor. As a detailed physical examination can give insight into the eligibility for consumption of such drug.

A psychiatrist would be a better person to evaluate the severity of the anxiety and the need for the drug and advice the dossage accordingly.

I would consider the other way to combat the anxiety disorder would be through Cognitive-behavioral therapy. Also relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, visualization techniques, and tai chi have been recommended for the same. Along with good exercise and hydration consuming foods XXXXXXX in omega-3 essential fatty acids, like salmon, mackerel, herring, and sardines (regulate neurotransmitters,hormones, and other brain chemicals)and those containing tryptophan (milk, nuts, bananas, soy, poultry) will help as they encourage the brain to produce mood-enhancing chemicals.

I will be available to answer your follow up query as well,

Take care ,