Ask a Urologist   »  

Ankles are swollen. Urine flow was slow. UST showing prostrate mild enlargement. Should I go for a surgery?

I am 56 years old. Recently my ankles are swelling at day time and I approached Urologist. No abnormality in blood tests. However my urine flow was found slow during test. One UST reveals Prostate mild enlargement with normal out lines. Another UST finds Prostate normal in size. Now doctor suggests surgery after testing with camera through Penis passage. Is it necessary. My urine flow was slow more than 20 years.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

Swelling in feet and ankles may be seen in kidney, heart and liver disorders.

Telsartan 40H is for control of high blood pressure.

As you have already approached Urologist, he must have got your kidney functions tests done, serum creatine and blood urea. It is also important to see urinary protein excretion and serum proteins and I assume these have also come as normal.

Coming to your specific problem about prostate, I guess an ultrasound scan has been complete with emphasis on the following findings:
1. Kidney size and appearance on both sides.
2. Prostate size and appearance.
3. Urinary bladder capacity and wall thickness.
4. Urinary bladder urine residue after passing urine.

You have mentioned prostate enlargement in your query but exact size is not mentioned. However it is the urine retention and associated patient discomfort which is more important than the prostate volume itself.

Ideally a blood investigation for Prostate Specific Antigen must also be done (PSA), this has significance in diagnosis of prostate cancer.

Finally coming to the investigation mentioned as testing with camera through penis passage, I would guess you are talking about cystoscopy. I would be in a better position to comment and discuss regarding surgery if you can tell me the cystoscopy findings please. This is important because your urine flow is slow for over 20 years.

Kindly reply back with updated indormation.
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.