Ankle swelling three months after ligament injury, able to walk normally. Is this an issue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Its been threemonths after i have been affected by a ligament injury in right ankleiamable to walk and be normal but the ankle swelling is still there.I have already mailed to your id regarding this by paying 150.Pleaselet meknowif the swelling is not an issue.Itslike iamnot having pain but still it is swollen
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The swelling in the dependent part like ankle after a ligament injury is often persistent sometimes due to an inflammation in the soft tissues. Since there is no pain on any kind of ankle movement, it seems that the ligament that was injured has almost healed.
Now to decrease the swelling, you need to do a regular hot fomentation and a regular physical therapy- both active and passive joint exercises under the guidance of a physical therapist. Doing hamstring stretches and quadriceps drill will help in improving the circulation to the area and thus will reduce the swelling.
You can also take trypsin- chymotrypsin supplements for an early recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Ankle swelling three months after ligament injury, able to walk normally. Is this an issue? 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

When would it be possible for me to jog or run properly?

Iam asking this because walking fast and running is also a necessary at certain times.Iam keen to start playing cricket and other sports but i dont know when it would be possible.

Can we know whether which nerve is not functioning properly after the injury as i feel a difference between the stretching of legs between left ankle and the injured right ankle.

Thanks for writing again.
Usually it takes 6-8 weeks of regular physiotherapy for the normal function to return. In your case, any nerve problem is not likely. It is the healed scar tissue which has a lesser elasticity which is making the difference.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.