Ankle sprain, painful and hot. Did the sprain trigger gout? Should I get an X-ray?

Hi Dr. i sprained my ankle quite badly yesterday, the pain eventually went away, during the night it woke me and felt very painful and hot it was better when i took it out from under the blankets, couldnt help think that it reminded me of how my partner feels when has an attack of gout, did the sprain trigger this gout, i have never suffered with gout before? or should i get an xray?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your pain in ankle seems to due to the sprain.
It generally happens this way.After a sprain,you feel more pain after the rest.
It doesn't look like GOUT as it generally affects the big toe.
Just do some local icing and may take some anti inflammatory like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for three days.
No need for any x-ray at the moment.
Just wait and watch.
If it recurs again in the night then you may consider getting tested for an x-ray and serum uric acid.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck