Ankle pain, no swelling. Doing regular yoga. How to get rid of pain permanently?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am XXXXXXX, 31 years old Male.
From the past few weeks i have observed that my Right foot ankle pains, the pain is bearable, there is no swelling, this pain is also not on all days of the week.

This started after i slipped in my bathroom and there was pressure on my Right foot , although i didn't loose control.

I just wanted to know how to get rid of this pain permanently?
Would this pain increase in the future?
Is this managable myself?

Note: I do yoga moderately, daily morning.

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 days later
The mild intermittent pain in the right ankle like you are having is likely to be due to a muscle sprain.
A mild to moderate degree of injury may heal on its own given time. To speed the healing, you can:
*Rest the ankle. Avoid putting excess weight on your feet specially during the pain.

*Hot fomentation of the ankle to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your ankle. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or brace on your ankle.

*Elevate your foot on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear an ankle brace to stabilize it and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

*Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.
This is likely to subside if given adequate rest. Do wear comfortable shoes and avoid wearing any sandals.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.