Angina,overweight,68 years old,angiogram under conscious sedation possible?

Is it possible to have an angiogram under conscious sedation so that I won't remember anything about it when in the recovery room? I am 68-years-old, have angina and am overweight.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Your doctors are doing an angiogram to assess for any blockages in your blood vessels as well as adequate pumping function of your heart. While it may be possible to do this under conscious sedation, quite often doctors prefer that a patient remains awake in order to report any symptoms of concern such as difficulty breathing or chest discomfort. Modern technology has made these procedures quite routine and physicians are quite skilled at performing them with minimal complications.

I hope I have helped you understand the angiogram in more detail and why it might be preferable to be awake during the procedure. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Angina,overweight,68 years old,angiogram under conscious sedation possible? 5 hours later
I understand that I am able to respond and follow instructions under conscious sedation, but that a period of amnesia will be produced upon full
awakening in the recovery area. It is the amnesia I want. In other words, I want to have forgotten that I was awake. Am I correct?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello again,

Your assumption is correct. Conscious sedation produces a very temporary degree of amnesia where you will really not be able to recall anything that went on during the procedure and possibly in the immediate period right after the procedure. The medication will work its way out of your body within an hour or so and you will regain full mental capacity and ability to remember things as you had prior to the procedure.

Conscious sedation is performed very routinely, is safe, well-tolerated and has minimal side effects. You will be monitored closely by the doctor as well as his staff during the procedure and let me reassure you that I think you will do quite well.

I hope I have again helped you understand the angiogram and conscious sedation. I am again available for followup if needed.