Anaemic during pregnancy and after giving birth also. Advised to take ferrous sulfate daily. Having gastritis. Advise?

I gave birth to my daughter back on 04\01\13, it's been almost 5 months. I have been anemic since i was 8 months pregnant. AND LET ME BE HONEST I NEVER TOOK MY IRON :(. On 08\03\13 i had more blood work done (attached records) and as you can see, i am still anemic, the dr prescribed me ferrous sulfate 325 mg 3x daily. When before it was only 2x daily. Is my anemia real bad this time? would it cause any symptoms? if so which symptoms? And whats the best way for me to take my iron pills, for them to be absorbed better, and NOT to make my gastritis worse!!!! Plz help!
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 days later
Brief Answer:
Mild anemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

At this time you have a very mild anemia but you do have a moderate degree of iron deficiency. One of the things that contributes to I am deficiency is menstrual bleeding. It might take a few more months for your iron level to be restored near normal. I would continue taking iron three times daily as prescribed by your doctor. One of the ways that you can help absorb iron is to take vitamin C with each dose of iron. The acid content of the vitamin C will help your body absorb the iron.

Your doctor can repeat your blood count and iron levels in a couple of months. I would anticipate that you can discontinue the iron within the next six months or so.

Again your anemia is mild but you do have a moderate iron deficiency which is appropriately manage by your primary care doctor.

Thanks again for sending a question. Please let us know if we can be of any additional assistance in the future.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Anaemic during pregnancy and after giving birth also. Advised to take ferrous sulfate daily. Having gastritis. Advise? 39 hours later
Would dizzy/lightheaded hand tremor or feeling faint be cause by this? The reason I ask is bcuz I have this symptoms. Also I have t had a period since I gave birth!!! But I did have a D&C right after birth.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. It is possible that iron deficiency can cause a multitude of symptoms. This might range from. Fatigue too restless legs.

It might take a couple of months before your periods return to normal again.

I would continue to try to take the iron three times daily. Again try to take it with some vitamin C so that it gets absorbed more easily.

Thank you again for sending your question. I am confident that you'll feel better and better over the next several weeks and months.

Dr. Galamaga