Am pregnant, taking Thyronorm for TSH levels. What effect will it have on the baby?

Question
My wife as 7.5 weeks pregnant her TSH level is13.5 and T3 & T4 are normal (Tests done from 2 Labs).
The doctor has put her on Thyronorm 25 1Od from today.

- What effect it will have on the baby.
- How much time will it take to get normal.
- I have heard that the baby requires these hormones from mother during first three months will it effect adversly the baby.
- Will this higher TSH have any effect on the development of the baby brain.
- What if the TSH levels are not reduced after taking the medication.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 20 hours later

High Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) suggests hypothyroidism.

1. Hypothyroidism in mother when severe can result in increased risk for obstetrical and fetal complications. Abortion, anemia, gestational hypertension and placental abruption can occur in mother and in the fetus premature birth, low birth weight, neonatal respiratory distress and low IQ. The risks of these complications can be minimized with proper correction of hypothyroidism.

2. Thyronorm 25 mcg is very small dose. I feel she needs to take atleast 75 mcg per day and check her Free T3, Free T4 & TSH levels after 2- 3 weeks. It may take 2-6 weeks depending on the dosage of thyroxine to come to normal. Please discuss this with your treating doctor.

3 & 4. Baby requires these hormones from mother during first 20 weeks. The major concern is low IQ in the baby - However chances of low IQ are high when thyroid problem is severe. Since your total thyroid hormone levels are normal, I don't think her thyroid problem is very severe.

5. If proper dose of thyroxine is given TSH levels will definitely come to normal. There is no question of not coming to normal - It should be brought to normal.. TSH value <2.5 is preferable.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you and your wife good health.