Am diabetic, have glaucome, no vision in left eye, distorted lines in right eye. Can this be arrested before I lose it completely?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I am a diabetic from Zambia, Africa. I initially started having glaucoma some years ago. In the last one year I have been attending PRO Laser treatment within Zambia. My left eye started seeing distorted lines and now is nearly completely dark. Last two days I have noticed the right eye has started seeing distorted lines. Can this be arrested before I lose it completely too? I am battling to control the sugar. My fasting is usually around 8 mmol. Which is the best facility I can rush to in India or elsewhere in the world? Is there hope that this can be arrested?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

From what you have described, you may be suffering from diabetic retinopathy. PRP (Pan Retinal Photocoagulation) laser treatment is done for diabetic retinopathy. But you mentioned that you have glaucoma. Please clarify. If you can send a copy of the reports, it will be very helpful.

I will reply after you send me further details.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Am diabetic, have glaucome, no vision in left eye, distorted lines in right eye. Can this be arrested before I lose it completely? 48 minutes later
I live about 500 kilometers away from the clinic that did the PRP Laser but I will get someone to see if they can pull out the papers for me and scan and email. Is there no likelihood of both conditions occurring? I was diagnosed with glaucoma by a different doctor (intact 2) more than 5 years ago and put on timolol eye drops. But when I attended clinic in India a year and half ago they said my pressure was ok. But the condition I am in now is what is worrying. Can something be done for me in the shortest possible time?

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 32 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

It is quite possible that you may be having diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma.

What needs to be determined is whether your visual loss is due to glaucoma damage or diabetic retinopathy. Either way you require immediate treatment.

I would advise you to get in touch with your local ophthalmologist and find out the cause.

Because you asked, I would recommend two premier institutes in south India which can adequately take care of both the ailments and provide you quality care.
1) Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai, Tamil nadu
2) Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, Tamil nadu

I will be available for further queries.

Best regards,
Dr. Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Am diabetic, have glaucome, no vision in left eye, distorted lines in right eye. Can this be arrested before I lose it completely? 4 hours later
Thank you so much. I have been in touch with the Opthamologists who did my PRP Laser and unfortunately haven't had much success today to get info from my file and the doctor who attended to me has since returned to India. I recall that he told me my eyes were about to bleed and his PRP laser treatment was to stop the possible bleeding. Does that make sense? I have also, through an effort from one of my suppliers in India been given an offer to travel to the following clinic. Have you heard of them?

"Dear XXXXXXX

We should be able to help him.

Kindly make an appointment for him to see me as well as our Glaucoma Expert Dr. XXXXXXX Khamar.

With warm regards,

Abhay.

Postal Address :
Dr. Abhay R. Vasavada
M.S., F.R.C.S. (England)
Iladevi Cataract & IOL Research Centre
Raghudeep Eye Clinic,
Gurukul Road, Memnagar,
AHMEDABAD - 380 052. INDIA.
Phone: 91-79-0000, 0000
FAX: 91-79-0000
E-mail: YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

You should go ahead with your travel arrangements. Dr XXXXXXX khamar is a well known glaucoma specialist in India.

PRP laser is done to stop the bleeding. It needs to be repeated if bleeding has not stopped.

All the best!!

I will be glad to assist you further in case you need any more help.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Am diabetic, have glaucome, no vision in left eye, distorted lines in right eye. Can this be arrested before I lose it completely? 2 days later
So between Sankara Nethralaya and Iladevi where do I stand a better chance considering it might be both Glaucoma and retinopathy? Which institution would handle both issues more efficiently?

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
In my view both institutes are equally equipped to handle all the problems.
Go to the place wherever you can get the earliest appointment.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah