Am I suffering from tuberculosis if I get frequent fever?

Question
I'm getting frequent viral fevers
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Infections
Follow-up: Am I suffering from tuberculosis if I get frequent fever? 6 minutes later
Mantoux test Positive
X-Ray Chest - Normal Study
Anti-streptolysin O (ASO) 197.5
CRP - 119.11 (Normal < 5)
ESR - 94 mm (Normal 01 - 10 )
WBC Count - 0000 (Normal 4000 - 0000)
Mycobacterium tuberculosis - IgG - 1032 (Positive > 900)
Mycobacterium tuberculosis - IgM - 0.2 Ratio (Positive > 1.2 Positive)

Am I suffering TB ?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Hello.
Having recurrent fever with high WBC count, Increased CRP & ESR with mycobacterium IgG positive is indicative of only an old tubercular infection. In a recent infection, IgM should have been positive. You are more likely to be suffering from a bacterial infection rather than viral infection. For further diagnosis it is best to have a blood culture to rule out septicaemia and widal test to rule out typhoid fever.
Raised WBCs are not likely to be due to recurrent viral infections. Mantoux test can be positive if you have a history of having tuberculosis in the past.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Am I suffering from tuberculosis if I get frequent fever? 13 days later
Thanks for your timely reply madam.

Recently I undergone some test, typhoid fever is negative and

CT Abdomen and Pelvis shows

SIGNIFICANT RETROPERITONEAL,ME SENTRIC, BILATERAL IILAC AND RIGHT INGUINAL LYMPHADENOPATHY
NO EVIDENCE OF ASCITES
SPLENOMEGALY
MILD HEPATOMEALY
THE DIFFERENTIAL INCLUDE
TUBERCULOSIS
LUMPHOMA

I don't have any Mantoux test can be positive if you have a history of having tuberculosis in the past.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Abdominal lymphadenopathy with hepatosplenomegaly can be due to both tuberculosis or some blood related disorder or lymphoma. A FNAC or biopsy of the lymph node will confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.