Am I pregnant if my back pains and I feel tired?

I am 24 year old trying to concieve. LMP was on 20 july-2011. had unprotected sex on 29th jul. i think i ovulated around 30-31 july. I got minor period like cramps on 7th and 8th aug which were on and off. also felt extremely tired and sleepy on 8th aug. sometimes there is a minor pain in lower back. could i be pregnant?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

You had your periods on 20th july. You had sex on day 10 and according to you the ovulation took place on day 11 or 12.

Minor period like cramps or a minor low back pain is a very non specific symptom regarding pregnancy.

We cannot diagnose a pregnancy until your periods are overdue- at least till 23-24 august.

To test the pregnancy status you can do a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market. Use a morning sample of urine and presence of two lines means a positive test. This test can be done after 23rd august in your case.

Alternately you can consult a gynecologist who will do a serum beta hcg test (more specific than urine test) and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Am I pregnant if my back pains and I feel tired? 48 minutes later
thaks for the response. I would also like to mention that i took a urine home preg test which was negative (i think it was too early). Though there are 2-3 more symtoms which i forgot to mention. I feel sleepy and feel as if i am swallowing saliva alot since 2-3 days. i have pressure on my lower back sometimes. ofcourse as you said it's too early. i wanted to know if implantation is always accompanied by bleeding coz i have none till now though mild cramps persist. i also read about this intution of being pregnant which i have. is that true or just a saying?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

As I have said, it is too early right now for pregnancy test. It is not necessary that implantation will always cause bleeding.

We cannot diagnose something as important as pregnancy just based on an intuition. I do not believe in it. If this persists repeat the urine test two more times every 72 hours.