Am I having heart burn due to irregular heart beats and discomfort in chest?

Jun 2015

I have been feeling very uncomfortable in my chest with irregular heartbeats, a kind of almost squishing feel in my heart and a sense of almost adrenaline like I am anxious. I travel for my business and work a great deal, but I also am having mild pains in my chest. I have had gastric reflux for many years, so cannot tell if the heartburn is from that or something more concerning.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Heartburn secondary to Stress/Anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Chest pain can be caused by various reasons, including minor problem such as indigestion or stress, to serious medical emergencies such as a heart attack. In your post you have not mentioned about any history of Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders, etc. Under such circumstances, the symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to Heartburn secondary to Stress/Anxiety. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of antacids like Pantoprazole (to be taken half an hour before food) & anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation (to be taken after food). Mild sedative/ anxiolytic like Alprazolam 0.25mg can be taken (only under strict guidance of your Physician) to relieve Stress/ Anxiety. It is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc. 4. Avoid smoking & alcohol. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist & get a proper clinical examination. Investigations like Endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract & Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms. A fresh estimation of blood pressure level & Electrocardiogram will also be needed to rule out any pathology in Cardiovascular system. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.