Always have irregular period. Had unprotected sex. Missing periods. HPT negative. Am I pregnant?

I have always had irregular periods, starting when I was 13, and they would come every few months on and off for the last years I started. Then recently I fell into a cycle around march and had one every month, and on a 33 day cycle, I was so happy. I recently had unprotected sex around August time and started my period what I thought was the 17th August but was very light, only lasted 2 days. I waited for my next period to arrive which is now just 8 days late. I have taken 3 home pregnancy tests 2,4 and 5 days after I was supposed to start my cycle and all showed negative. Are my cycles just irregular or am I pregnant?
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 39 minutes later

Thanks for asking us

As you have a history of irregular cycles , you are less likely to be pregnant but one can not be very sure of it so please repeat the pregnancy test after 15 days. It is better to get an ultrasound done to see whether there are polycystic ovaries or not and what is the thickness of the endometrium.Get your thyroid profile done as thyroid disorder is the most common cause of irregular bleeding these days.Anemia is to be ruled out first so get Hb levels done.As you are young so it is better to diagnose the cause of irregular periods and treat it as soon as possible.

Best wishes
If you want to ask anything else you are welcome