Allergies,stuffy nose,hearing loss in left ear,headache,ear pain,dizziness,tylenol,vitamins,allergy medicines

I am 34 years of age,weight 150pounds ,height 5'5. I need to mention that about 4 days prior to me not hering in the left ear I was giving the kids a bath,Iwas kneeling next to the tub and while scrubbing the body of the four year old boy he screamed into my ear I am not sure if this is the contributing factor,but I also have allergies and sometimes I get a stuffy nose but my ears have never had a problem like this before. About a week ago precisely saturday morning April 23rd I couldn't hear in my left ear.I woke up with a pounding headache and the pain was pulsating from my left ear,and I could hear my heart beating from this ear-it was like when they perform an ultra sound on a pregnant woman so they can see the unborn baby.I took one extra strength tylenol gelcap at 6:00am,and then went back to bed.Three hours later at 9:37pm I still had a puonding hadache and the pain in my ear was excruciating.I then took a second tylenol gelcap on an empty stomach and proceeded to prepare breakfast.After setting the breakfast on the table I started getting very dizzy and had to go lay down for a few minutes,I then woke up(since I. can't stand not being active)and I realised that everything was spinning,I had to hold on to a rail whenever I walked.The rest of the day I spent in bed And I couldn't even be able to wake up to get a glass of water.The following day sunday I was still feeling dizzy whenever I walked,that day I took a lot of vitamins which included :magnesium,b-12 complex,digestive enzyme,gnc womens nutritional drink,phospho omega krill oil,gamma E complex(I do take my organic vitamins religiously everyday).I also took a severe allergy and sinus headache equate tablet(from walmart)that compare to the generic benadryl.By Tuesday April 26th I was'nt feeling dizzy or out of balance the excruciating pain was gone and I could now hear only muffled-like I am under the water.And ever since tuesday my total hearing-clear hearing similar to my right ear has not returned.When I close my right ear with my fingers I can only hear like I am under water in my left ear and the ringing is still there but my concern is to restore my hearing to the previous level.I am now taking ring stop capsules by natural care company,the directions on the packaging suggest that I should take 2 caps twice daily for 30-60 days and for best results to use daily for 3-6 months.Please help.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 49 minutes later
Hello ,

From the description provided it seems that you might be having a infection of the middle ear , that is causing the severe ear pain, headache, dizziness, and tinnitus.

The presence of fluid in the middle ear might be the cause of the muffled hearing sensation.

You might benefit by a examination by a ENT doctor and treatment with prescription medications for a few days to reduce your symptoms.

RING STOP , has not been found to be effective in tinnitus caused due to infection of the inner ear. It is a supplement whose efficacy is variable and many individuals have not found it to be useful.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.