Allergic to vicodin. Can I take percocet?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am allergic to vicodin. Can I take percocet?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not advisable but I have suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Vicodin contains hydrocodone and paracetamol. Percocet contains oxycodone and paracetamol. They both contain opiates which are very similar. Therefore, I would advise you not to take Percocet.
However, some reactions to drugs are labelled as an allergic reaction when they are really a sensitivity to a side-effect in which case it can be easier to consider alternatives.
An allergy to paracetamol is very uncommon so I assume it is the opiate component that you have a problem with.
If you wish to consider an alternative then I would suggest Tramadol. This is suitable for moderate to severe pain but is a different chemical class to oxycodone and hydrocodone therefore an allergic reaction would be highly unlikely. Another alternative would be a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,