All of a sudden got neck swelling and swollen skin under tongue. Cause?

My mum all of a sudden got neck swelling on her right side and now it's swollen the skin under her tongue. There is no pain or fevers and she can breath and swallow ok.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proceed to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

I would recommend that you bring her to a local emergency room for immediate evaluation. The main concern with sudden swelling is that there might be some obstruction to bloodflow in that area of the body. There are many different reasons why this might occur. I am concerned that the swelling might get worse without immediate evaluation and possibly intervention.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga