Alcoholic and drinking vodka. Legs are numb, blood in nose and hard abdomen. Could I ask a doctor?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have a very alcoholic husband, 12 years now, and he drinks a half a gallon of vodka every two days. He is having real issues lately. His symptoms are such...legs and feet going numb, bloody nose daily, dry heaving overnight from not having alcohol, swelling that makes it look like his face is going to explode, hard abdomen, legs buckling to make him fall, and
not sleeping at night...he is only 44 and I am 55...terribly afraid of losing him.....he refuses to see a dr, and wont hear of an intervention...I need help before it is too late....however, I think it is already. Please advise
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a doctor urgently.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The symptoms you describe could indicate your husband is suffering from severe liver disease related to his alcohol intake. Unfortunately, the only action you can take to help him would be to get him to a doctor.
He will need to reduce his alcohol intake but of more urgent priority is to have his liver function assessed. He needs his clotting corrected which is causing his nose bleeds. It sounds as if he has ascites which is fluid in his abdomen. This would cause a hard abdomen.
His health may decline further without expert help.
I hope this has answered your question adequately. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,