Alcoholic. Started doing regular exercise. How to control weight?

Dear Doc...
Herewith I have attached a photo of my belly area.
I have started 1km jogging together with a few abdominal exercises to last for
about 30 minutes. I do this every other day since 1 month. I do consume alcohol 4-5 times per week. But have a control on oily foods. My cholesterol is 173 mg/dl and FBS 87 mg/dl. Kindly advice as to how I can get back into shape again. My height is 160cm / 70kgs.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query and the picture.

Exercises remain a key component in weight control and prevention of metabolic disease. Making it constant, rather than periodic is very important. It’s already very good you do it for 30 minutes per session, if you could maintain this to be very constant 3 to 4 times a week, it shall be great.

The feeding practice is also very important. Control already over the oily foods you take is already very good. Reduction in saturated fats and eating more green vegetables, fruits and fibre is very important. Your total cholesterol levels and fasting Blood Sugar are very normal. Healthy exercises as such and good feeding practice could be very important in maintaining these good normal values.

I would advise you work on reducing the amount of alcohol you take. However, taking a XXXXXXX glass of wine after a meal occasionally will not do any harm. But consuming alcohol 4 to 5 times a week, I am afraid could be quite much.

- I suggest you stay CONSTANT with these exercises you have started
- Reduce the amount of alcohol intake
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, fibre and reduce oily foods and saturated fat intake.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Best regards.

Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Alcoholic. Started doing regular exercise. How to control weight? 1 hour later
Many thanks for your reply... Is there any special or rather targeted exercise that I should do to reduce the belly area.Any tablet or medication that I could also take to reduce this. Thanks !
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

For the moment, there are NO TABLETS that are used to lose weight or fat. Most drugs advertized generally have very serious side effects, have short term results and the scientific community has not approved any as of now. The best advice in that respect remains watching your diet, reducing the amount of alcohol you consume to a minimum and being constant with physical activity.

I suggest the normal abdominal exercises, not very specific are quite sufficient. The usual brisk walking for 30 to 45 minutes at least thrice a week will have repercussions for sure on the abdomen. You do not actually need anything very very specific to do with respect to it.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.