Alcohol abuse and diagnosed with ALD, liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension, under treatment. Survival rate?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
My uncle is alcohol abuse and diagnosed with ALD - Decompensated cirrhosis of lier with portal hypertension , grade II esophageal varcies child pug class C, S. BP

Procedure - Gastroscopy + Ascites Tapping

He is under treatment at Apollo Hospital, Ahmedabad, please let me know his chances of survival and other treatment option to save him.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

You have said that he comes under Child Pugh Class C.
The 2 year survival for class C is about 30-40%

For decompensated chronic liver disease, the only definitive treatment is liver transplantation.
Other measures for only to prevent complications like gastrointestinal bleeding, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis ( infection of the fluid accumulated in the abdomen), hepatic encephalopathy ( involvement of the brain).
He needs to continue taking Ciplar LA and Fruselac. Ciplar LA controls the portal pressure and prevents bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract and Fruselac is the water pill which reduce the fluid in the abdomen and legs.
If he is constipated, he needs to take Duphalac.

All these medications are there in the prescription given by his doctor.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Alcohol abuse and diagnosed with ALD, liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension, under treatment. Survival rate? 16 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your kind advice,

It means only he 30-40% people survive up to 2 years in this stage liver cirrhosis !

As liver transplantation is very expensive treatment, we will discus in family about this, please let us know what would be cost of liver transplant in India ?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, only 30-40% with Child Pugh C survive up to 2 years.

Liver transplant is a very costly treatment. It may cost anywhere between 40 and 50 lakhs.

Moreover donor liver is not readily available.
Patients who need liver transplant are included in the organ transplant registry.
Those high up in the list get transplanted first when the organ becomes available.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Alcohol abuse and diagnosed with ALD, liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension, under treatment. Survival rate? 4 hours later
Thanks for advice and information Sir,

One more thing I just need to know what would you suggest , either we go ahead for liver transplantation process or just continue the treatment providing by current Doctors and wait for some time.

Please suggest on basis of current medical reports provided that what should we do.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As mentioned in my previous post, liver transplantation is the only definitive treatment for decompensated liver disease.

But as told earlier, many factors are involved - the huge cost, the availability of the donor organ etc.
So you need to take the final call after discussing with your family members whether to get his name registered for liver transplantation.

But your uncle needs to continue with the advice of his doctors, take the medications and go for regular followup treatment as advised.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini