After treating potassium levels, get tingling sensations in upper body. Worse tingling after beer. Why?

I've recently been to the doctor for low potassium. I followed up at the doctor and they said my potassium levels were back up to normal. Every since then I get these tingling sensations in my upper body only. Feels as if it an electrical current or something. It goes away when I take my shirt off. I started to drink a beer yesterday and the tingling got worse. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The tingling sensation in your upper body is likely to be related to the electrolyte imbalance you have been through recently.
Another possible cause is vitamin B complex deficiency. Increased tingling after taking alcohol further confirms its relation to vitamin deficiency.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: After treating potassium levels, get tingling sensations in upper body. Worse tingling after beer. Why? 15 hours later
Thanks alot for the much needed assistance! I went to GNC yesterday and a lady there said try taking magnesium. I took a 250mg magnesium pill and then drunk a beer and felt none of the tingling sensation all day. I also read an article on the internet stating that magnesium test go undetected if low. That's probably the reason why they said all my electrolytes were fine. What do you think about that? Also wanted to know how long should I take the 250mg magnesium pills?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Magnesium deficiency could be a possible cause.

You may continue taking the magnesium supplements under the guidance of your doctor for a week and then see the improvement. You can also add a Vitamin B complex supplement along with this.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.