After having a baby, ankles and feet are swollen. Suggest the treatment?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My daughter just had a baby and her ankles & feet swelled up so bad they look like elephant feet. Since she was 15 her feet and ankles have gotten swollen even though she was skinny. She has been sent home and her ankles & feet are still huge and swelling. What can she do?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 33 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your query, I would like to mention that some swelling can be seen post delivery. It usually subside within a week. It is usually due to accumulation of excess of fluids in the lower extremities.

Still to rule out any medical problem, I would suggest that she should be investigated for :-
1. Hemoglobin levels.
2. Liver Function Test(LFT).
3. Kidney Function Test.
4. Echocardiography.

Also her blood pressure should be monitored.

Following precautions can be helpful :-
1. Raise the foot end while lying down or sitting.
2. Exercise of legs will help to strengthen the muscle pump to maintain proper circulation.
3. Low salt diet will be helpful.

Clinical examination along with the reports of her investigations will help in planning her medical management.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.