After falling and hitting my tailbone, I develop this constant pain in both legs when I try to stand and walk

Orthopaedic Surgeon
after falling and hitting my tailbone I develop this constant pain in both legs when I try to stand and walk
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve root compression. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the legs is likely to be due to a nerve root compression due to the injury to your spine during the fall. It is difficult to correct the alignment of the spine like this. An MRI scan is needed to assess the extent of damage that you have suffered. Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. You can also get some muscle relaxants and methylcobalamin supplements prescribed from your orthopedician in case the pain is persistent. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL