Afraid of gastroparesis. Family history of stomach flu. Have anxiety disorder and taking Zoloft and Xanax.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am afraid of getting gastroparesis. There are HORROR stories online of people who got this disease out of nowhere and for no reason but some can remember having a stomach virus before hand and they call it post-viral gastroparesis. I am scared of getting the stomach flu now because I do not want this horrible disease. I don't know anybody personally whose had this except my sister who had it 10 years ago after having her gall bladder removed. Her's was not permanent though. I cannot stop researching this online and keep reading all about the horrible things that can happen and people on feeding tubes, etc. I do not have diabetes. How many people actually suffer from this disease and how probable is it that I wake up one day and just have gastroparesis? Please help. I do have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and take medications-zoloft and xanax for it.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

From the queries posted here, I can realize the horror of Stomach Flu in US

My first word is a word of reassurance, As you have mentioned anxiety disorder is the root cause of the fear you have generated, our mind always thinks of the commonly prevalent diseases, affecting us when we are under stress

The following facts are to reassure you and reply to your queries :

Viral gastroentritis has been reported to occur in around 3.5 million infants in US every year, against this the incidence in adults is unknown

Most infections are self limiting and pass of with time, the only care that needs to be taken is to prevent dehydration

Again as mentioned in your history you are not diabetic so the chances of getting gastroparesis that is secondary to Diabetes is also ruled out

I would suggest you make yourself strong as under the situations you have mentioned it is very unlikely that you will get gastroparesis

Hope all clear, In case of any doubts revert back with details
Get well soon

The disease occurs from unhygienic conditions while handling eatables, the best prevention will be to wash hands properly after going to toilet

Follow-up: Afraid of gastroparesis. Family history of stomach flu. Have anxiety disorder and taking Zoloft and Xanax. 11 hours later
I have read online that idiopathic gastroparesis is just as prevalent as diabetic gastroparesis. 1/3 of the cases are idiopathic. This is what I am afraid of getting. A subset of the idiopathic cases said that they call recall a viral infection prior to the onset of their gastroparesis. A website said that 1 in 25 Americans have this disease. I am so afraid of it. I know that the chances are low but they are there correct? A lot of people online said that they went from begin perfectly healthy to very, very sick in a short amount of time. This is what scares me the most. It is apparently more prevalent than diseases such as Chrone's, autism, etc. Is this true? it also said that many doctors don't understand how prevalent it really is and don't have a lot of knowledge about it which then makes me afraid of trusting doctors. Ahh!
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your followup query

Let me make one thing clear, All data available on the net is not authentic

I would recommend you rely on your doctors rather than the doubtful facts available on blogs

Authentic literature says around 110 new cases of Colon cancer are diagnosed daily in UK, does it mean all people in UK will be scared of all the causative factors of Colon cancer?

Yes idiopathic gastroparesis does exist but everyone scared of it doesn't get it

There are lot of good medicines available and the research is on, so reassure yourself and do not get scared

All doctors are always updated on the advances to survive in the competition so do rely on your doctor

Hope all clear, Any doubts revert back

Get the scare off you