Advised dexorange capsules for hb defficiency. Will there be any side effects on prolonged use of this medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My mum is 88 yrs old, has been advised 2 dexorange capsules a day for hb defficiency post orthopadic surgery. Will there be any side effects on prolonged use of this medicine ( Over 45 days). Her hb level hovers around 9.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later

For a female the normal hemoglobin levels should be above 11gm/dl in general.
Dexorange capsules can cause side effects like gastric disturbances in the form of diarrhea or constipation, gastritis, nausea, discoloration of the stools etc.
But these are not severe usually and the person can become adjusted to the tablets after few days.
Better to start with one tablet a day for one week then it can be increased to two tablets a day.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Advised dexorange capsules for hb defficiency. Will there be any side effects on prolonged use of this medicine? 6 minutes later
My main concern is 'Will there be any side effects on prolonged use of Dexorange capsules(Over 45 days) ? ' Hb level has gradually been improving from about 7.2 to around 9

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later

There may not be any serious side effects when used for 45 days.
As the tablets are gradually improving her hemoglobin levels she can continue them.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.