Adenoids, snoring, breathing difficulty

ENT Specialist
my son has adenoids his 3 yrs old is it very XXXXXXX as i have to wait till 26th oct to see specialist and go from what they say... he snores alot at night n breathes heavilly througout day as well...
plz im very worried is it okay to wait till oct 26th.... as its been a month since his alreday been like this... he doesnt even sleep properly
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoids hypertrophy is common in all children between the ages of 3 to 7 years. They usually subside and disappear by the age of 12 to 15 years in more than 95% children.

2. Snoring at night and mouth breathing imply significant nasal obstruction. I suggest you to get a lateral X-ray of the Skull to see the extent of the adenoid hypertrophy.

3. While you may be forced to wait till 26th October, you may take the help of medication in the form of anti-allergics, decongestants, steroid nasal sprays and supervised steam inhalation to reduce the nasal obstruction.

4. Adenoid hypertrophy is mild in the majority of children, however they can cause a multitude of side effects in the long term in some children such as unfavorable changes in the facial bones, recurrent nose and ear infections. hearing and learning problems at school,failure to thrive, sleep apnea syndrome and so on.

5. In my opinion you should seek medical treatment after confirming with an X-ray. With early and appropriate treatment, surgery may be avoided.

6. I have treated a child from Australia who was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He had adenoids, which regressed with the above treatment. I have X-rays taken at three intervals over a year to prove the regression of the adenoids. I can email you a set of images if you need to convince your physician to initiate prompt medical treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.