Addicted to sports. Now depressed, fatigue, pale face and reactional hypoglycemia. Second opinion?

Cardiologist, Interventional
i doctor,

I am writing with an act of desperation..

I have always been a sport addict boxing, gym, swimming...

About a year ago while training I felt nauseous dizzy an went pale. They took me to emergencies they did tests, ECG, tension, blood pressure.. nothing.

The day after I started having panic attacks anxiety, fatigue, pale face... and few days later depression for 4 days. Started to really worry so went to visit doctors. Had fatigue a anxiety red eyes mood swings issues sleeping morning fatigue, sometimes tinglings and muscles shaking for about 5months then things went better(took magnesium supplements) I remember. After that started going gym again training well sleeping well (was never perfect but better) then lately it came back... always worsen by physical activity any (running climbing stairs gym or even sex). Saw so many specialists : neuro, XXXXXXX medicine, sport doctor, endocryno, psychiatrist etc... each one of them doesn't find anything and says its stress visit a psychologist. Well I know it is not, I live in dubai, lot of sun, nice job, nice environment, and if it was I would be in a bad shape all the time!! Well why is it most of tbe time triggered by physical activity?

I went to visit another endocrinologist who told me you have diabetes in your family (grand ma grandpa, dad) you must have bad genes!! Well I always eat healthy for 6 years now as I used to compete, proteins complexes carbs, fruits veggies... he said you have reactional hypoglycemia do a test : 4 blood test in the morning while fasting : 1 blood test result was 90 - 2nd after hyper sweet drink result 120 -then 3 test and hours after that result 70. He concluded I was reactional hypoglycemic. I am not a doctor but I am sorry this is not bad results they seem normal to me.

I beg you if you can doctor help me cause I am desperate no sports no physical activities and above all living with something no one seems to understand.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 12 hours later

Thanks for your query

I do understand your situation and sympathise whats happening to you. But as you have had multiple consults and nothing found amiss or wrong its unlikely that there is disease to explain your symptoms.

May be the very first episode you expressed is vasovagal syncope or presyncope and it has left a bad psychological scar on your psych. Thats whats making you resist and get bad sensation about all your activity. And also loss of training all these days would have made it worse.

I guess the best solution now is to go for retraining after fully assuring yourself that there is nothing wrong with you. Suddenly you should not try to get back to previous level of activity but do it gradually. That should make you feel alright.

I do agree with your comments on reactional hypoglycaemia.
Please do get back to me if any other doubts or queries.
Follow-up: Addicted to sports. Now depressed, fatigue, pale face and reactional hypoglycemia. Second opinion? 2 hours later
Hi doctor,

I actually thought about your theory and it is the one I ve adopted for the last 6 months which worked quite well. The problem is why is it coming back now?

I tried to re exercise convincing myself that all was right but to be honest a set of 25 push ups makes me tired :( then anxiety kicks in. .. And why would I wake up tired after a long sleep? And better after a short?

Why would 2 glasses of wine gives me anxiety? And isn't sport supposed to help in this case? Also get adrenaline rush before sleeping or wake up breathing as if missing air.

Do you think this could be sleep apnea?? Just thinking. Thought I am overweighted I am 77 kg athletic.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 10 hours later

It can recur, there is nothing that it shouldn't be, just some small events which you might not even have noticed could bring the memory back and prevent you from being at your best. Just gradual increase in your exercise help.

Your history doesn't look like sleep apnea.

Alcohol can either calm or worsen anxiety based on situation so its not always to calm. If you still very much limited in physical have cardiopulmonary exercise test done.