Adderall, lower dopamine in brain, taking L-tyrosine would help ?

I currently taking Adderall 12.5 mg daily. I've read that it can lower the amount of dopamine stored in the brain. I also read that L-TYROSINE is the precursor to dopamine and taking a L-tyrosine supplement can help maintain normal levels. Would it be a good idea to take such a supplement along with the Addreall?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Amphetamine ( Adderall) during its action do deplete the levels of Dopamine in the brain.

Consuming foods XXXXXXX in tyrosine will surely help in retaining the Dopamine levels for smooth action of Adderall.

Foods like Meat sources including fish, chicken, and pork,Whole grains, wheat, and oats,Dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt ,Fruits such as avocados and bananas, Legumes, beans and nuts such as almond, lima beans, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds are XXXXXXX in tyrosine.You can supplement your diet with the above items.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Adderall, lower dopamine in brain, taking L-tyrosine would help ? 4 hours later
Besides the foods listed is there any specific L-tyrosine supplement that you would recommend and dosage. Also I know its a non essential amino acid. So will your body create less of it for some time if you took a certain amount for a while.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the follow up,

I would consider good dietary intake will be enough if 10% your diet comprises the above mentioned foods.Well taking supplements is also beneficial. A dose of 1 to 1.5 gms will suffice when on medications which affect the levels of Dopamine.Tyrosine will be available in the form of capsule each of 500 or 750mg ( WWW.WWWW.WW .Tyrosine should be taken on an empty stomach with water or juice 30 minutes before a meal. It is most effective taken with 25-mg of Vitamin B6.

You are right Tyrosine is a non essential amino acid synthesized in the body from amino acid phenylalanine.The above foods mentioned are ones which are XXXXXXX in Phenylalanine.Hence these foods bring up the tyrosine levels in the body.

Hope i answered your query completely,

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Adderall, lower dopamine in brain, taking L-tyrosine would help ? 2 hours later
Just one last thing. Say I take the supplement for 3 months. During this time will my body create less of its own due to the higher intake through diet? If that is true will it go back to creating at normal levels soon after stopping the supplement?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later

No , there is no such problem.Need not worry.