Ask a Urologist   »  

Acute pain while urinating, water intake increased after starting to gym. Why is this happening?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good Morning Doctor,
My name is XXXXXXX and i have started attending a gum form the last more than a week now, Although I have started loosing the weight but last one week i am having acute pain when i urinate, My water intake for the day has increased many folds after the gym and after the pain i have delebrately statretd drinking more water but there is hardly any relief in the pain,
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 37 minutes later

Do you have any passage of blood in urine ?

Any back pain or lower abdominal pain ?

Since you have pain on attempting to pass urine, there is possibility of urinary stone which may be inside your urinary bladder. Other causes could be injury to the urinary tract as well.

Kindly drink 2-3 litres of water a day. Eat a diet with low carbohydrates and fat but with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid junk food, colas, caffeine, energy drinks, smoking and alcohol.

You must consult with a Urologist who may ask you to get X-ray Kidney and Urinary Bladder and sometimes ultrasound as well. If a urinary stone is found, it can be managed with medicines but if it is a large stone, it can be removed with an endoscope passed inside your urethra painlessly. If there is infection as seen in urine tests, antibiotics will be prescribed.

Nothing to worry. Get the consult as soon as possible. Follow above precautions thoroughly. Since you have gastritis, it would not be safe to take conventional pain killers, but you may take Paracetamol tablet 500mg twice a day under medical supervision.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.