Acute chest pain, blood clot, kidney pain, trembling muscles, pneumonia DVT. Installed IVC filter. Treatment?

Excellent

Question
OK...I WONT GO INTO IT ALL THIS LAST WEEK BECAUSE I HAVE A FEELING IT IS WAY TO COMPLICATED AND IT LEADS TO THIS SIMPLE QUESTION....IVC FILTER BECAUSE I WAS HOSPITALIZED 2ND TIME IN 3 MOS WITH PAIN IN CHEST, BLOOD CLOTS. I HAD FILTER INSTALLED BECAUSE THINNERS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE DUE TO WEIRD BLEEDING SOMEWHERE NEVER FOUND SOURCE..I AM STILL HAVING SHARP CHEST PAIN, BUT.......IMMEDIATELY AFTER FILTER PLACEMENT MY LEFT KIDNEY FELT LIKE A STONE LANDED...I DID MENTION TO HAVE NURSE TO CHART IT...BUT IT WAS RANDOM AFTER A DAY...NOW IT IS 3 DAYS LATER HERE IS SYMPTOMS...SHARP L KIDNEY PAIN CONSTANT INCREASES WITH ANY MOVEMENT....MY CHEST PAIN IS SHARPER BUT ITS THE KIDNEY I AM NOT TO HAPPY ABOUT, COULD THIS BE CONNECTED WITH FILTER??? ALSO AS KIDNEY INCREASES W/ PAIN....I FEEL LIGHT HEADED A LITTLE..BUT I AM TREMBLING ALL OVER MY MUSCLES ARE SHAKING...NO FEVER, NO INCREASED SWEATING...I FEEL OK. BUT MY KIDNEY IS SAYING...ASK. I ASK HERE BECAUSE I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH LOCAL HOSPITAL CARE..THEY MISSED PNEUMONIA DVT AND STOMACH SPASMS W/ VOMITING IN ER ...SENT ME HOME AFTER I WAS IN THERE 2 MOS AGO WITH SUPERFICIAL THROMBOSIS.......CAN I WAIT TILL TOMORROW TO GO TO HOSPITAL THAT FOUND MY ISSUES AND INSTALLED IVC..OR IS THIS MAJOR STUFF I SHOULD CHECK OUT TONIGHT??? IT WAS INSTANT PAIN IN KIDNEY AFTER INSTALLED.....IT IS HERE WITH ME NOW....SCARY STUFF??? OH YEA..MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS 179/90 NOTHING NEW IF PAIN IS HIGH, OUTPUT WAS A LITTLE DARK IN HOSPITAL BUT KIDNEYS WERE FINE BEFORE IVC. NO TEST DONE POST IVC...I AM ONLY ABLE TO GO ONCE A DAY BECAUSE MY INPUT IS VERY LOW W/ STOMACH PAIN THING FROM ESOPHAGUS...BUT IT LOOKED OK LAST NIGHT..A LITTLE DARK, NO OUTPUT YET TODAY. THANKS FOR THE COMPLICATED QUESTION, I PROMISE I WILL CALL A DOC TOMORROW IF U DO NOT SEND ME NOW....
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

With the multitude of the problems involving more than two systems your issue is complicated and it does not have a simple answer.

With a risk of DVT (Deep venous thrombosis) and just out of hospital with an IVC (Intra vena cava filter) if I were your on call physician I would opt for an immediate triage at the ER now. I do not suggest you to wait.

IVC filter is put to prevent the lower limb clots to reach the most important organs like heart, lungs and brain. So it is by no means nullify the risk but reduce the complications of heart attack, stroke and lung infarction.

A reduced blood supply (clot) to an organ like kidney causes unbearable pain. It means a lot of salvage the organ before it dies off. It raises a suspicion further when you say the output is very little. We generally say to our patients that he / she has to pass urine at least once in 8 hours, else it is not normal.

Hope you understand the need to reach the ER immediately.

Regards.