Acne on scrotum, not sexually active, sweating everytime. Treatment and advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 19 yr old son has developed 'acne' on his scrotum. He is not sexually active-he is away at college and uses communal showers. He also says he sweats all the time. Any over the counter meds we can use?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Is there any itching, redness, discharge over the scrotum?

Are these 'acne' present anywhere else on the body like flat surface of feet?

Usually these small swellings on the scrotum could be due to possible fungal infection, sebaceous cysts or viral warts.

It is highly recommended to keep the scrotum and area between thighs dry at all times as constant sweat accumulation makes a person prone to fungal infection.

You may apply mild antibiotic ointment for time-being because since the diagnosis may be difficult unless the lesion is examined by the Dermatologist, one cannot apply specific medication just yet.

If there is pain, he can apply cool fomentation by gauze soaked in cool saline for pain relief and prevention of infections.

Kindly respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Acne on scrotum, not sexually active, sweating everytime. Treatment and advise? 9 hours later
Thank you for your response. There is no itching or discharge. He is prone to acne on his back. He does not have any on his feet. He is also not in pain.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for providing additional details.

Since there is no pain or inflammation, sebaceous cysts or inclusion cysts also needs to be considered.

You can try some Petroleum jelly on the affected region. Avoid picking them. Keep the area clean and dry.
If these lesions worsen, then it would be best to consult Dermatologist for specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.