Accidentally used 35% peroxide. Now feeling pain, burning sensation in ear and neck. Concerned

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question

I accidentally used 35% peroxide instead of 3% in my ear and it was in there for a while. Now I feel a burning sensation from my ear down into my neck. This was a few days ago, but the pain is still there. Will it heal on it's own? What do I need to worry about if anything.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since this happened a few days ago, there may be burns in the external ear canal. Get the ears examined with an otoscope or under a microscope. The ear drum should be checked.

2. Another possibility is infection. This may prevent it from healing on it's own.

3. How is your hearing? Did you have any dizziness? Any blood stained ear discharge?

4. If your ear examination is within normal limits and no other symptoms besides the pain, there is no cause for worry. healing should take a few days. You may request your doctor for pain relief medication and ear drops.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Accidentally used 35% peroxide. Now feeling pain, burning sensation in ear and neck. Concerned 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt response. My hearing is actually the same or even better than before. I probably can't make it to the doctors this week as I am a stay at home mom and no one to watch my son... If the pain goes away on in a few more days, do you think it healed on it's own?
And no blood/discharge. I feel improvement already tonight. Which is a huge XXXXXXX of relief. I don't have the pain from my ear to my throat like I have the past few days.
Although, I just swallowed and I can feel it then.

Thanks again, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

There is no urgency now. However, get your ear examined whenever possible.

Since the pain has subsided it is a good sign. The hearing is fine, so occasional pain is not a cause for worry. This should heal on it's own.