Accidentally swallowed spiriva capsule used for inhalation. Any risk?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I accidentally swallowed my spiriva capsule used for inhalation. I did this while taking other medications and was not paying attention. Will this be a problem? Can I still take the dose required by inhalation ?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no need to be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Swallowing of Spiriva fortunately isn't problematic and it can cause just mild abdominal discomfort or constipation or you won't have symptoms at all so it will not lead to any serious issue. However,be cautious and If you have severe dizziness, severe breathing discomfort then get it checked in ER. Also you can continue with regular spiriva dosage but take it 3 hours after this incident. Wish you good health. Regards