Accidentally cut and turned to scar. Is it infected?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Is this a bad scar?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
It would be helpful if you could tell me some more details about how and when did it happen? is there pain around it?
as I can see this is still scar which will go through some more phases of maturation so its final look will change. But there is a degree of scar hypertophy and possible keloid formation. I woudnt say this is some significant bad scar and you dont have to worry unless there is some cosmetic concern,but since this isnt on your face,I dont think that treatment is necessary if there is no pain, puss secretion or infection. otherwise, it can be surgically corrected or by laser or you can use special creams called granuflex or similar for better tissue recovery. WIsh you good health. regards
Follow-up: Accidentally cut and turned to scar. Is it infected? 4 minutes later
I accidentily cut myself there. I eas just curious if it was infected and I needed tobsee my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 minutes later
It depends on deepth of cut,but it seems like the suturing and wound cleaning would have been helpful if it was done within 8hours after injury. Beside depth and wound edge distance, infections may also lead to abnormal scar formation. But as I said, wound is healing even up to 15 months and it is to expect darkening and narrowing of this scar if this period didnt pass yet.
from my experience, we oftenly see such scars even after suturing and scar
formation is commonly individual and depends on genetics.
Follow-up: Accidentally cut and turned to scar. Is it infected? 2 minutes later
So am I ok or not?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
YOu are ok. it doesnt looks inflamated and there is no any treatment necessary. if you notice redness spreading around it, pus scretion or bleeding you should visit doctor,but i dont think it can happen since the wound isnt opened and there is no sign of healing complication.