Accidentally consumed two Solodyn pills within 2 hours. Should I be worried?

I accidentally just took 2 solodyn pills withing about 2 hours of each other. I took the second one after forgetting that I'd already taken the first. Is there any cause for concern?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Solodyn contains an antibiotic that is minocycline. It is usually available in the dose of 55, 65, 80, 105 and 115 mg. It would be better if you mention the reason for which you are taking this medication and also the dose which you are consuming.

As mentioned, you have taken 2 tablets within 2 hours. If i assume you have taken a tablet of strength 115 mg it will be 230 mg, which is less than the maximum dose that can be taken which is usually between 400 to 500 mg per day. However, in people with renal impairment, maximum dose is 200 mg per day. Common side effects of minocycline include nausea, anorexia, dizziness, vomiting and diarrhea.

I don't think you need to worry and from next time be careful while consuming any drugs.

It does interfere with certain other like oral contraceptive pills and can decrease their effectiveness.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.