Absence of periods and cant get pregnant. Stopped depo provera. What treatment can be taken to concieve?

Infertility Specialist
ive been off depo prevera for a year now, and i still dont have my period back and cant get pregnant. what can i do? am i still able to concieve?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Dear Becka,

I am sorry to hear that your periods have not resumed for one year (amenorrhea) even after discontinuation of depot provera. I Understand you will be very anxious about pregnancy.

Good news is that you will definitely be able to conceive. Please follow my advice written below:

1) Get a simple hormonal test called FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone), Prolactin and TSH. These give idea about pituitary function and helps to know the cause of amenorrhea.

2) Depot provera is known to cause such prolonged period of amenorrhea in some women. As women continue using Depo-Provera, fewer experience irregular bleeding and more experience amenorrhea. In clinical studies of Depo-Provera , by month 12 amenorrhea was reported by 55% of women, and by month 24, amenorrhea was reported by 68% of women using Depo-Provera CI. But this does get reversed.

Hence I advice you to get above tests and get back to me. Based on these reports I would be able to suggest you further line of treatment.

I request you to keep faith and hope. I am very sure you will conceive. You will get your menses back.

If you donot wish to take above mentioned bloodtests, you please take one month course of oral contraceptive pills. You will surely get menses after finishing OCP course. Your chances are getting pregnant are very high as you are just 19 years young lady. Hence dont worry about pregnancy. you will definitely conceive.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for followup query You may have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist